You have no items in your shopping cart.
Ingredients to Avoid
- Alcohol – Alcohol is a drying ingredient that will zap the moisture from your lips
- Menthol, Camphor and Phenol – All of these products can produce redness and swelling
- Artificial Colors – Artificial coloring is taken from coal tar and heavy metal salts which will put toxins on your lips and can cause lip irritation. Look out especially for FD&C artificial coloring as studies have linked it to be carcinogenic.
- Ingredients that you can’t pronounce – These type of ingredients indicate high levels of artificial and chemical make up
- Carmine – This is typically found in lip sticks, it is also known cochineal, cochineal extract, crimson lake, and natural red 4 is a pigment produced from the scale insect cochineal.
- Parabens – Methylparaben, butylparaben, etc. Parabens interfere with the function of hormones and is correlated with an increased risk of breast cancer as well as reproductive toxicity.
- Chemical Sunscreens (Oxybenzone) – These types of sunscreens should be avoided because they can cause hormone disruptions and are linked to endometriosis in women. Look for lip balm with an alternative sun blocking agent like Zinc Oxide.
- Petroleum Jelly – Also known as Petrolatum, this ingredient can be very dangerous if the petroleum wasn’t refined properly. Faulty petroleum jelly can contain carcinogens which are linked to breast cancer. Other than potentially containing carcinogens, petroleum jelly is not a breathable substance and will block your lips from getting the oxygen it needs.
Put your lip health first and avoid these harmful ingredients.