Happy 2020! It's cliche to make resolutions to be the "best you", but a resolution that is larger than just you is pretty powerful. You may get discouraged when you don't lose weight or lose motivation to stop a bad habit mid-way through spring, but a feel good resolution not only betters your life, but the planet's lifespan. This is truly the gift that keeps on giving.
Offsetting your (un)avoidable carbon dioxide emissions is a practical and immediate way to take ownership of your personal contribution to climate change
Here are 12 ways to reduce your carbon footprint in 2020:
- 1. Eat less meat - the meat, especially beef, industry is notorious for omitting carbon emissions. Try meatless Mondays!
- 2. Drive less - bike, walk, rollerblade, skateboard community bikes/segways instead
- 3. Line dry clothes - no need to run your dryer & waste energy
- 4. Unplug electronics - when you're not using devices, unplug and save energy
- 5. Plant a garden - supports sustainable agriculture, reduces food transportation costs & reduces water runoff
- 6. Eat local & organic - less pesticides & carbon emissions
- 7. Purchase consignment - the world produces too much new stuff and throws away too much old stuff
- 8. Green your appliances - switch over to Greenstar appliances that use less energy
- 9. Turn off the lights & water - be polite, turn off the light! You have the power to turn off the water.
- 10. Check your thermostat - don't set the temp too high or too low, bonus points for programming it to turn off or low when you're not home
- 11. Look into solar panels - they may cost more upfront, but will end up saving $ and energy
- 12. Recycle - if your state doesn't recycle, then re-purpose or reuse glass or plastic items