5 Ways to Give Yourself the Gift of Grace
Giving ourselves grace is easier said that done. We beat ourselves up for mistakes and things that are out of our control. It may be a cliche catch phrase, but it's one we should start taking to heart -- the times when you need grace most are the times when you're least likely to give it to yourself.
In honor of Thanks-Living in November, we're offering up 5 ways to accept "failures", combat the negative voices in your head & give yourself grace as you go into the holiday season.
1. Don't be perfect, be real. No one is perfect (repeat after me: no one is perfect). You're going to mess up, say the wrong thing or make a mistake. The goal is to not be perfect, but be genuine. Be real. Because the real you is perfect.
2. Mess up, but don't let yourself feel bad. It's OK to admit you were wrong, but don't let the guilt eat you alive. Guilt is an ugly monster that will never leave if you don't let it. Practice letting things go that are out of your control. Remind yourself that these feelings are temporary. Just because you had a bad day doesn't mean you have a bad life.
3. Give yourself permission to not do everything. Unless you have a cape and can fly, you're not a super woman. It is OK to not be able to fit it all onto one place - especially during the chaotic/stressful holiday season. Make a list of things you have to do and fold it in half. Do one half and the other half another day.
4. Never feel selfish for taking "you" time. Whether that's splurging on a new dress when you're being financially conscious, reading a book when you have a laundry list of emails, or taking a break from the everyday, know that you have permission to say no - and not feel bad about it.
5. Do one thing a day you're proud of. Maybe that's facing a fear, perfecting a hobby or trying a new food, be proud of yourself more often. When you are feeling pride, or satisfaction with yourself, you're more positive and more apt to share positivity with others around you. You'll be healthy, confident and successful.
Whatever grace looks like for you, give it to yourself. Think about the things, people and places in your life where your high expectations have gotten too tightly wound. Bottom line, don't sweat the small stuff. Give yourself permission, grace, love and light - because you deserve it.